The following article is excerpted from How Virtual Twins Drive More Sustainable High-Performance Buildings: The 4 Perspectives drives sustainability in the construction industry, a whitepaper developed by Dassault Systèmes. To read more about virtual twin in construction industry, download the full whitepaper here.
Climate change is the defining challenge of our time. It requires systemic change and global cooperation. The current generation needs to prepare for fast population growth to ensure a sustainable, energy-efficient world with a reduced global carbon footprint. Paradoxically, sustainability is also one of the prime business drivers as the industry strives to improve performance and efficiency while complying with restrictive international climate regulations and seizing new growth opportunities.
Sustainability is an irreversible industrial trend that’s accelerating fast, with global regulation pushing for a more circular economy in line with market expectations. Recent international commitments highlight how the sustainability agenda remains top of mind, impacting most industries:
- China announces that it will be carbon neutral by 2060;
- The EU sets a law to become climate-neutral by 2050 and achieve a collective, net greenhouse gas emissions reduction target of at least 50 percent by 2030 compared to 1990;
- The U.S. rejoins the Paris Climate Agreement under President Biden and committed to halve CO2 emissions by 2030, in comparison with 2005 levels at the April 2021 Virtual Leaders Climate Summit;
- The transatlantic agenda that is under discussion starts with a joint commitment to achieve a green technology alliance, a global regulatory framework for sustainable finance and net-zero emissions by 2050 with measures to avoid carbon leakage;
- New Zealand becomes the first country to require the financial sector to report on climate risks.
With less than 10 years for countries to deliver on UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), all stakeholders are conscious that it’s time for radical and urgent action. The construction industry plays a significant role in a new era of technological breakthroughs, digitization and virtualization. What was technologically inconceivable even a few years ago is now feasible.
Excerpted from How Virtual Twins Drive More Sustainable and High-Performance Buildings, a Dassault Systèmes whitepaper
Powered by our 3DEXPERIENCE platform, the construction virtual twin helps companies streamline collaboration between teams and optimize processes for better control of the value chain.