In the past few years, we have witnessed a rapid transformation and expansion in the electric vehicle market. This change is fueled by growing customer demand for more sustainable and environmentally conscious vehicles, as well as advances in supporting technology. Today we see cutting edge EV battery technology, as well as improvements in the EV charging infrastructure driving this growth. Customers now have an array of options and automotive businesses that are agile and flexible with a core focus on the customer experience will have a competitive advantage.
The entire market is seeing changes and the expansion is not limited to the electric vehicle front alone, autonomous vehicles are under development by traditional auto suppliers as well as technology companies such as Google. The notions of “what a car looks like” and “how a car operates and interacts with passengers and its surroundings” are all being transformed. And the processes for how those cars are designed, manufactured, and even marketed to buyers are all being transformed.
One constant component across auto manufacturers of all sizes during this new era of innovation has been Dassault Systèmes’ software. Long-time automotive industry leaders and new industry disruptors are leveraging the 3DEXPERIENCE platform to design and build their EVs.
As automakers see the rapid transformation in their market, they are looking for new ways to compete. For example, Honda looked for a way to manufacture their products faster. Using the 3DEXPERIENCE platform to create a digital replica of its factories – complete with real-time data from machines in operation fed back into the digital replica – Honda is able to bring its vehicles to market faster than ever before.
Amidst this explosion of electric vehicles, demand for tech-enabled experience-focused transportation, and new ride-sharing challenging traditional concepts of vehicle usage, the competition to deliver innovative cars on-time and under-budget has never been higher. Here’s a snapshot of some of the companies using the 3DEXPERIENCE platform to drive the automotive industry forward.
- Canoo, a Los Angeles based start-up, is using the 3DEXPERIENCE platform on the cloud to accelerate their time to market with flexibility, low overhead and seamless digital collaboration across teams. Canoo is aiming to transform the transportation industry with its monthly subscription-only membership, which customers can easily access through an app on their phone.
- Byton has focused on creating an exceptional user experience with features such as the “digital lounge” inside their electric vehicles, the M-Byte and K-Byte. Byton has offices from Beijing to Santa Clara so they have needed real-time global collaboration tools powered by the 3DEXPERIENCE platform.
- Fisker uses the 3DEXPERIENCE platform for an emphasis on all-around sustainability. Vehicle parts in their latest development, the Fisker Ocean, is
created in part from recycled ocean plastics. Founder Henri Fisker has a long history of automotive design experience and especially electric car development with well-known vehicles such as the Fisker Karma.
- Tesla, our longtime partner, uses the 3DEXPERIENCE platform to eliminate data boundaries, compress lead times and reduce costs in the development of its electric vehicles, including the Model S and Model 3.
- BluTec, an Italian auto supplier, is deploying the 3DEXPERIENCE platform to train employees on sustainable industrial innovation. The manufacturer is using Dassault Systèmes’ “Electro Mobility Accelerator” industry solution to imagine, design, simulate and deliver new hybrid and electric vehicle concepts.
- VE Commercial Vehicles Limited (VECV), a joint venture between the Volvo Group and Eicher Motors Limited, is applying the 3DEXPERIENCE platform to cost-effectively develop and deliver innovative, high-quality trucks and buses to the growing commercial vehicle market in India.
- Rimac Automobili is using the 3DEXPERIENCE platform to quickly design and develop high-performance electric vehicles, drivetrains and battery systems, including the next generation of its Concept One fully-electric super sports car.
- Startup Kreisel Electric is using the 3DEXPERIENCE platform to create and deliver lightweight, compact and high-performance battery solutions, powertrains, charging technology and software as it works to integrate electric drive into cars, buses, commercial vehicles and bikes.
But it’s not just the creation of the automobiles that is changing. Explore more from CES 2020 on the future of transportation, as we take you on a tour through the latest innovations that will soon be changing the ways we travel.