There are two types of licenses in GEMS:
- Roaming: Dongle is assigned to any computer with GEMS installed
- Network: Dongle is assigned to a server
A “dongle” is a hardware key, which plugs into the laptop/desktop’s USB port. It can be one of two types: SafeNet Sentinel (mostly black in color) or Aladdin HASP (green color). When users install GEMS software on their machines, both dongle drivers are installed automatically.
In some case however, the laptop/desktop does not recognize the dongle and therefore GEMS remains unlicensed. The steps below will help determine if your computer is recognizing the dongle and troubleshoot common issues:
- Plug the dongle into one of the USB ports (not through a USB hub) – Is the dongle lit up?
If not, try switching USB ports
- Open the Device Manager and check if there is an entry under “Universal Serial Bus controllers”
- Open the Control Panel
- Click on “System and Security” (Windows 7) or “Hardware and Sound” (Windows 8/10)
- Click on “Device Manager” under “System” (Windows 7) or “Devices and Printers” (Windows 8/10)
- Check for one of the following entries under “Universal Serial Bus controllers”: SafeNetUSB SuperPro/UltraPro or SafeNet Inc. HASP Key.
3. Run the program “SaveHostID.exe” under the directory “C:\Program Files (x86)\Dassault Systemes\GEOVIA GEMS\<version>”.
Choose the option “I do not know my seat number” and click “Save”.
Open the “HostID.txt” file and locate the following line: Sentinel detected: XXXXXXXXXX.
4) If “Sentinel detected: XXXXXXXXXX” is not listed in the file, unplug the dongle and re-install the dongle drivers from the latest version of the software using administrative permissions (right-click on the executable and choose “Run as administrator”). The drivers can be found in the following directory: Client\Prerequisites\Dongle Drivers. Make sure to log in to the computer directly (ex. do not use Remote Desktop). A restart may be required after installation.
5) Once the dongle driver is re-installed, plug the dongle into one of the USB ports and re-run the program “SaveHostID.exe”.
- If “Sentinel detected: XXXXXXXXXX” is still not listed in the file, a firewall or anti-virus software may be blocking the port. If this is the case, please check with your IT department.
- If “Sentinel detected: XXXXXXXXXX” is listed, copy the license file “license.xml” to the following directory “C:\Users\Public\Dassault Systemes\GEOVIA GEMS\<version> and launch GEMS.
6) If the “GEMS Activation” dialog opens and is empty or an error message appears, the license file may be out-of-date or the latest Windows 10 update (1803) may be interfering with the dongle, in which case the latest version of GEMS 126.96.36.199 will need to be installed by following these steps:
- Navigate to www.3ds.com/support
- Click “DOWNLOAD” and then “Access your Download” and sign in with your email and password
- Choose “GEOVIA GEMS > GEMS 6.8 > GEOVIA GEMS 6.8.2 (Refresh2)”
- Download the zipped file, unzip it, and then run the executable “GEMSIntroSetup.exe” using administrative permissions
- Choose “GEOVIA GEMS > GEMS 6.8 > GEOVIA GEMS 188.8.131.52 (Refresh2-HF1)”
- Download the zipped file, unzip it, and then run the executable “GEMS 184.108.40.206_Hotfix.msp
If you are still experiencing licensing issues in GEMS, please do not hesitate to contact us. You can create a new Service Request by either:
- Logging in to https://dsxclient.3ds.com and choosing “Main Menu – New Service Request”
- Sending an email directly to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Calling the technical support line at 1-866-333-4367