I’ve had a whopping cup of black coffee and am ready to roll for another day of Devcon. There are still many things I’d like to blog about from yesterday, but I’m waiting to see what happens today before I commit to any content.
Meanwhile . . . are you sitting somewhere other than the Devcon breakout sessions? Fred Vacher has told me the Devcon virtual conference spaces, like the Shanghai World Expo 2010, will be open for your leisurely browsing and playing for a long time.
Fred took me on a tour of the virtual spaces this morning, and here’s what I like best:
- The 3D objects are smart objects, meaning you can listen to that radio you see, and even change the channel if you don’t like the song playing! Go ahead, try to open all the cabinets and play all the media!
- You can replay your favorite keynotes
- You can interact with partner content
- Your avatar is a Virtools person, just like in the video games
- All the environments are made with 3DVIA Virtools, no Flash
I’m working on getting a 1 minute video of the virtual space and will add it here once obtained.
You also may enjoy Al Dean’s notes from his live Devcon experience yesterday.
Instructions to connect virtually: let ‘er rip!
To enter the conference :
1. Register by clicking here.
2. Select your Persona.
3. Enter in one of the 4 virtual rooms tagged “virtualdevcon”
To run 3D Virtual DevCon, you will need the 3dvia plug-in. In most cases the plug-in will install and execute itself automatically without any problem. If you notice a yellow bar at the top of your Internet Explorer window stating that the download is blocked, click on it and choose “Authorize the content”.
Minimal system configuration for running 3DVIA Virtual Devcon Private Beta:
- Microsoft Windows(XP or Vista)
- Pentium 4 1GHz(or equivalent)-512MB of RAM
- Internet Explorer (6.0+), Firefox (3.0+)
- 128MB Video card
- Pilot DirectX 9c or recent
- Windows MediaPlayer 9
- High speed Internet connection
Addendum: The number of spots for the registration link is limited. If you try to enter after the limit is reached, use this URL instead.