Architecture is at the crossroads of technology, society, and material sciences. As illustrated by The Economist in the infographic below, the major trends dramatically influencing the future of our built environment are:
- Robots augmenting the construction workforce: 3D printing, drones, and wearable exoskeletons.
- Flexible design extending the lifespan of infrastructure: the circular economy and adaptability.
- New materials giving rise to bigger and greener buildings: graphene, carbon-negative cement production, and multi-physics simulation.
- The built environment becoming intelligent and automated: big data, AI, autonomous utility equipment, and automated city services enabled by sensors.
- Driverless vehicles reshaping our cities: less car ownership, less need for parking.
Click for full-screen view: